For the Love of Cooking!|
Recipes and Resources for Making Great Food
May We Recommend
+ Add to Shopping List
Rate this Recipe
Serves 8 |
An absolutely amazing dish.
|1/4 lb thick-sliced bacon|
|3 lb boneless beef chuck|
|1/3 cup flour|
|2 tablespoons vegetable oil|
|4 1/2 tablespoons unsalted butter|
|1/2 cup brandy|
|1 stalk celery|
|4 fresh parsley stems|
|4 fresh thyme sprigs|
|2 bay leaves|
|2 onions, finely chopped|
|3 cloves garlic, finely chopped|
|2 carrots, cut into thin slices|
|1 tablespoon tomato paste|
|1 bottle dry red wine, 750 ml|
|1 lb pearl onions|
|1 lb mushrooms, quartered|
- Tie celery, parsley, thyme, bay leaves, and cloves together with kitchen string. Cook bacon in boiling salted water 3 minutes, then drain.
- Pat beef dry and season with salt and pepper. Divide flour and beef between 2 large sealable plastic bags, seal, then shake to coat meat.
- Heat 1 tablespoons oil and 1 1/2 tablespoons butter in a large heavy pot over medium-high heat. Brown beef well on all sides, adding more oil as needed. Transfer to a bowl.
- Pour off any excess oil from pot, then pour in brandy. Bring to a boil. Remove pot from heat and pour liquid over beef.
- Heat 1 tablespoon butter in pot, then saute bacon for 2 minutes. Add in chopped onions, garlic, and carrots, then saute for 5 minutes. Add tomato paste and cook for 1 minute. Add wine, meat and tied herbs, and partially cover and simmer for about 4 hours. While meat simmers, blanch onions in boiling salted water for 1 minute and drain. Rinse under cold running water, then peel.
- Heat 1 tablespoon butter in a 3-quart heavy saucepan over medium-high heat. Saute blanched onions until browned. Season with salt and pepper. Add 2 cups water to saucepan and simmer for 15-20 minutes. Bring to a boil and cook for 5-10 minutes.
- Heat remaining tablespoon butter in a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat for about 8 minutes. Season with salt and pepper. Stir onions and mushrooms into stew and cook for 10 minutes. Remove tied herbs and season with salt and pepper.
See Other Recipes Like This
A simple collection of delicious family-style recipes
Planning out the weekly dinner menu? Tired of the same dishes week after week? Try these tasty entrees for a scrumptious change of pace. View Recipes >
Mouth-Watering Memorial Day
Celebrate freedom, family and friends with good food. It's time to kickoff summer! View Recipes >